RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |



General Information:

Office hours are: 8:30am to 4pm Monday- Friday
Payments received: 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday – Friday
There is a drop box outside the Tax Collectors/Town Clerk Office. The building doors; at the police station end; are open 24/7.

The Tax Collector, Charlene Randall, can be reached at (401)392-3800 x. 104 or at cgrandall@wgtownri.org
The Tax Assistant, Barbara Sweet, can be reached at (401)392-3800 x. 105 or at taxassistant@wgtownri.org

Tax books can be purchased $4 each, in the Tax Collectors office.

Tax bills are mailed in July

Failure to receive a tax bill does not excuse the nonpayment of the tax or affect its validity or any proceedings for the collection thereof, according to Rhode Island General Laws, RIGL 44-7-7.

Payment due dates are:
8/31  -  11/30  -  2/28 or 29  -  5/31

A fifteen (15) day grace period will immediately follow the last day of each installment period.
There is an additional fee of twenty dollars ($20) every time a check is returned for insufficient funds.

To make tax payments on line:
Scroll down to West Greenwich and click Town Hall.
Your account number and PIN number are located on your tax bill.
A 3% transaction fee will be applied to your credit card. There is a $2 minimum fee

Tax Sale: Tax sales are generally scheduled for June.

How do tax sale auctions work?
Each bidder is given a form as required by RIGL. The lots are auctioned off in the order they appear on the tax sale list. Once the auction is over, each winning bidder must pay the full amount within one hour of the auction’s completion. The tax sale bidders registration states if you are a resident or a non-resident. This form must be signed and notarized. Proper identification is required for this. In addition you must complete a form clearly stating how you want the title to the property to be held. Once you are done bidding and your bid has been accepted there is no need to wait until the end of the auction. You may pay and leave as soon as you are ready.

All bidders must be at least 18 years of age. 

Are there any guarantees that accompany property acquired at public auction?

No. All parcels sold a public auction are sold “as is”. No warranty is expressed or implied in any manner regarding property sold at a public auction, including, but not limited to, the following example: no claims are made to guarantee access to, or building permits for, any of the parcels involved in the sale. Prior to bidding it is the bidder’s responsibility to adequately research properties to know what is being purchased.

How is the minimum bid amount determined?

When a property first becomes eligible for public auction, the minimum bid cannot be less than the total amount to redeem the property, plus cost associated with offering the parcel for sale. All payment must be either cash or cashier’s check. 

How can I find these properties, are plat maps available?

Plat maps and field cards can be located online at www.wgtownri.org and in the Land Evidence vault in the Town Hall.

Do I still get a tax lien when I buy at a tax sale?

You will receive a collector’s deed subject to the right of redemption. Once you foreclose on the collector’s deed, all previous title rights are extinguished, and you own the property free and clear. The only liens that survive foreclosures are those filed by governmental agencies in relation to the environmental protection act.

In the event that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has not been properly noticed regarding property on which the IRS has placed a lien, such IRS liens will survive the foreclosure process.

The Tax Collector has the right to cancel the sale up to the time of the sale.

How long does it take to get my tax deed?

Deeds are executed by the Tax Collector within 60 days of the sale, and recorded with the register of deeds. They are then mailed to you.

Do I assume any back taxes or other costs?

Individuals who purchase parcels at our auction will pay all Town’s outstanding taxes; as well as subsequent years. In addition, the buyer is responsibility the interest on said taxes and other legal costs and charges incident to the sale.


Why am I being taxed for a vehicle I no longer own?
Tax bills are mailed each year in mid July. The information for billing motor vehicles is obtained from the RI DMV, reflecting the previous calendar year. If you had a vehicle registered for any portion of the prior calendar year, the vehicle will appear on your bill, showing the following in the description portion of your bill:

Yr/Make______ Plate #______ VIN ____  Full Value ____ # of days registered ____ Prorated Value _____ Value__ Annual Tax __

The bottom portion of your bill has the 4 quarterly coupons attached. This is the payment collection cycle, which extends throughout our fiscal year (ending the following June 30th). Even though you may have disposed of a vehicle during this period, you are liable to make the quarterly payments because the vehicles were registered to you during the noted assessment period.

How do I get a vehicle off the tax roll?
All information for billing motor vehicles is obtained from the RI DMV. In order to remove a vehicle, you must cancel the registration (return the plates) at the DMV. Be advised that the billing is for the previous calendar year, so the removal of a vehicle will not be immediately reflected on the current bill, but rather on the subsequent year's bill (or possibly the year after, depending on the cancellation date).

I'm a new owner on a property - will I automatically get a tax bill?
Tax bills on newly acquired properties will be sent out only if they are requested. Our normal schedule for mailing all bills is mid-July. Any persons requesting copies of bills for purchases after this date are required to call the tax office at 392-3800 x105, and a copy will be mailed.

I escrow my real estate taxes, why am I receiving a tax bill?
You will receive a copy of your bill even if you escrow. It most likely won't be necessary to send your mortgage company a copy. Most mortgage companies will be downloading the information automatically.

What do I do when I have moved and need to change my address?
Click on the link for an address change form. Fill it out and mail or fax to the Collector’s office

What exemptions are available?
All exemptions are listed on the back of the tax bills.  They are also listed in the Tax Assessor’s section of this website.

I mail in my tax payments, how do I get a receipt?
You have to enclose a self addressed stamped envelope with your payment and a receipt will be returned to you. Another option is to follow the credit card/debit card instructions and save e-mail address to accounts applicable.